Friday, March 27, 2009

REAR VIEW MIRROR

My Uncle Hank died last week. He was fifty-eight years old. Without offending any other relatives, Uncle Hank was my favorite uncle. I know one isn't supposed to play favorites, but I have very fond memories of our time together. In his memory, his son has posted a very cool video on Youtube.

If you like, you can view it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqomtCoh20

I make a few appearances: once on his lap with a stuffed animal, and a couple of times in a signature brown suit, circa 1970. Don't laugh too hard.

We all know that as time goes by, we tend to get more involved with the people and things that are more immediate. By that, I mean that we are more apt to give attention to that which is only in front of us. Not that this is a bad thing, but forgetting the people that once had a major part in our lives seems to have become status quo for us. Then again, this may be how it has always been.

I remember my uncle in many ways that I won't share here. Attending his funeral was difficult, but it forces one to reckon with their own mortality. Visiting with cousins that I haven't spoken to in many years was sobering. They are old. They have children. They have characteristics and opinions. And yet, we still share many common traits. We look similar, we think similarly, and we speak similarly.

While we once lived in a relatively close area, we have migrated to different areas of Texas, and in some cases, other states in the Republic.

Most of my childhood was spent, at least in a familial sense, involved in much drama. At any given time, one or more of our aunts/uncles was angry at one or more of the other aunts/uncles. This made it difficult for the cousins to get together and maintain contact. As time goes by, distances grow.

Distance need not be defined by miles.

I find that we, as a whole, tend to worry about the big picture. We are concerned about the presidency (even if we won't admit it). We worry about the economy, and the security of, not only our family, but our nation. Rarely do we stop and think about extended family. At least I don't.

Time goes by quickly. Get to know your family if you haven't already. Make time to go and see that aunt, uncle, brother, sister, mother, father, or cousin. Remember that you share a commonality with that person that very few people in the world do - a heritage and a history.

2 comments:

  1. Hi sweety! I'm honored to be the first to comment on your first post. :)

    I agree. Life goes by way too fast. That's why we have to make the most of it. Let's go on a cruise next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, hi. It's me. I was wondering if you ever planned on updating this. :) Just keepin it real sweety. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete