Friday, February 10, 2012

AR-15 (re)Build - Final Test

 It was a good week at the Haus of Schu.  I managed to sell the crappy Troy Claymore "compensator"... and I use that term loosely.  Don't get me wrong.  I've said it before; if I kicked in doors for a living, the Claymore would be perfect.  I don't do that, though.  I shoot paper targets that don't shoot back.

So after selling the Claymore, I ordered a Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 5M1 compensator.  It arrived Thursday of this week.  I installed it, with the help of my lovely bride. 

Here is the new comp, installed on the end of the Yankee Hill Machine 1:7 twist barrel:
 
It was my intent to hit the range bright and early Friday morning to burn a few rounds with a friend of mine.  Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other plans.  It rained all night Thursday and most of the morning Friday.  I texted my shooting buddy around 0545 to tell him to grab another cup of coffee, that we would shoot in about a week.  I will be heading to his place this Sunday to watch him start a new batch of home brewed beer.

This morning I also had a doctor's appointment.  In November I had knee surgery.  In January, I injured my knee again.  At least I thought I did.  I had some pretty bad bruising on the inside of my thigh after catching my toe on the carpet whilst turning.  Doc said that I didn't hurt my knee.  Instead I tore my groin muscle.  That would explain the pain and bruising.  Nothing major though.

After that, Momma and I were gonna drop daughter off at the mall for an afternoon with her buds.  We stopped to eat lunch, and in the parking lot was a baby Muscovie duck.  Poor little critter was blind and couldn't find momma.  So we took it to the Texas Wildlife Rehabilition Center in the west Houston area.  Yeah.  Tough guy with guns helps rescue duckling.


By this time, the rain had stopped.  I didn't have much time, what with the ducky taking so much time.  So, after dropping daughter off at the mall, Momma and I headed home to pick up the AR to do a little shooting.  And I mean a little.  I checked into the range at 1455 and left at 1545.  Less than an hour. 

After getting the C-More zeroed at thirty-five yards, I moved to targets at fifty yards.  This little AR does a fine job.  With no magnification on the optics, double taps still came easy.  Below are two targets shot in quick succession while standing.
Overall accuracy was fine.  These rounds were shot as quickly as possible.  The compensator really does work.  Recoil feels like shooting a .22LR.  The noise, however, is NOT like a .22.  Still not as bad as I thought.

I really cannot wait for the next carbine match in the Austin area.  I also found out today that the range where I have membership will be putting on 3gun matches soon.  Look for the first of my 3gun match reports within the next two months.


In other firearm related news, some goodies came in the mail this week.  Monday I received the parts I ordered from Dawson Precision.  I purchased the "EDGE" trigger kit, four basepads, and a Dawson ICE magwell for my Glock 34.
Here are the goods:
 
Not sure if this will become my go-to pistol for IPSC / IDPA, but I am seriously considering it.  Ammunition is a lot cheaper, recoil is easier to manage, plus it's just plain fun to shoot.  It doesn't look too bad either.
Nor does it shoot poorly.  Seventeen rounds at twelve yards, as fast as I can pull the trigger.  With control, of course.

Next week will be the first IPSC match I will shoot with the Glock 34.  I have a carbine match tentatively scheduled for mid April.  Looking forward to that with great anticipation.  Wish we had something like that locally, outside of the 3gun matches offered around the area.

Until then, stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment